Saturday 6 April 2013

Te Aroha War Memorial

With ANZAC Day fast approaching, I thought that I would start with the World War One War Memorial, located in the centre of the township.

I want to expand the list of the names on the memorial to show information about each soldier's rank, serial number, unit served in, death date and location, and cemetery where buried. I will include a photo where I have them, usually taken from the newspapers of the time.

Some of the soldiers have been difficult to identify. I have used the Auckland Museum Cenotaph database, the Commonwealth War Grave Commission database and Archives New Zealand collection of digitised military records. If you know more about the unidentified soldiers or have a photo of the soldier you would like me to add, please contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment